Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Gate City folks, or anybody...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member imported_SuperX's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2004
    Posts
    967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Gate City folks, or anybody...

    for that matter...

    what's the esitmated depth on the "Gate City lake" that's on the end of town there....

    share some stories aobut it as well if you have any

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Ironlung's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10,218
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gate City folks, or anybody...

    I was always under the assumption that that was just their resevoir. I don't think it can be fished or anything. I may be completely wrong though.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

  3. #3
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gate City folks, or anybody...

    The Quarry is uber deep. Water was struck when trying to dig it out, and the water is just clean as can be. There are fish in there, and some huge ones from reports. You used to be able to fish in it until around the mid 80s I believe. I have heard that they sent divers in one time, and found the old escavating equipment, stolen cars, and some fish scared them out due to their size. How true that is I don't know.

    I do know my Pa told me of seeing a Kerns bread man throw some bread in onetime and the water turning black from fish circling it. I sure would like to cast a line in there. No doubt about it.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Ironlung's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10,218
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gate City folks, or anybody...

    Just toss a line over the fence from the road Stripes. They can't get you for trespassing that way. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

  5. #5
    Inactive Member imported_SuperX's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2004
    Posts
    967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gate City folks, or anybody...

    i knew that it was a rock quarry that hit water, and went under... i heard one of my ancestors tell me that they sent the divers in like someone else said, could you imagine coming up on a fish as big as you in a little lake! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] id like to cast a line over that fence though too [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gate City folks, or anybody...

    The VDGIF needs to buy it and open it for fishing.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gate City folks, or anybody...

    It would be nice. Or just give me and some friends a special permit! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2003
    Posts
    1,914
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gate City folks, or anybody...

    ummmmmm........ i was almost 100% certain the reason it hasnt been opened is because the mercury levels are high enough to kill?
    Cant we all just get along?

  9. #9
    Inactive Member imported_SuperX's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2004
    Posts
    967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gate City folks, or anybody...

    i heard something about that also... dunnno though

  10. #10
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gate City folks, or anybody...

    Not that I am aware of in that water. I don't know where there would have been any mercury pollution enter into water.

    I think there was a bigger concern over people possibly drowning, and other tom foolery with such easy access to it due to its location.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •